Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Toxic plants that are common in our homes.

Dogs and cats have been our utmost respected best friends and companions for centuries. So, it is only best that we make sure our pets are safe right? But little did we know that many household and outdoor plants that we keep are in fact toxic to our best friends. What may seem so innocent and beautiful to us, can have some long-term effects and worse even death on our beloved fur babies. Here are 10 Plants that are common in the yard and house that are highly toxic to cats and dogs.

  1. Aloe Vera.

Whilst this plant’s gel is quite common in the medicinal factor, the leaves and roots itself is toxic. It contains saponins which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

2. Sago Palms (cycads).

A lot of people have this common plant in their garden. All parts of the plant are highly toxic to dogs. Ingesting this plant can have a fatal effect on your pet. Symptoms include Vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage, liver failure, multiple organ failure.

3. Lilies.

Who knew that such a beautiful plant could be so toxic to our feline friends? Lilies (including peace lily, calla lily, Easter lily and Tiger lily) are highly toxic and potentially fatal to cats. They can even be toxic to our canine kind. Every part of the Lilly, including the water they sit in, pollen and dropped petals can cause Vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, stomach pain, depression, difficulty swallowing, kidney damage, kidney failure, multiple organ failure. So best to get the artificial kind.

4. Cannabis.

This medicinal plant is the most common plant poisoning that vets see, especially in dogs. Delta nine tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) affects neurological system in cats and dogs. Symptoms of poisoning include Incoordination, tremors, drooling, seizures, possible respiratory problems, depression, coma.

5. Lantana.

This very colorful plant is considered a weed in Australia. It is extremely toxic to both cats and dogs. Beauty can be deadly. Symptoms of poisoning include Depression, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, loss of appetite, shock, abdominal swelling, paralysis, possible liver failure.

6. Chinese Evergreen.

Whilst the toxicity of the Chinese evergreen is mild to moderate, symptoms can include liver and kidney damage. Symptoms to watch out for are Oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.

7. Philodendrons.

Philodendrons (Such as Swiss cheese plant, heartleaf, and fiddle-leaf) Have a mild to moderate toxicity to cats and dogs. Symptoms of poisoning include, Oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.

8.Morning Glories.

This beautiful plant may have a funny name, but there is nothing funny about its toxicity. Not all Species of this plant is toxic, its best to keep it away from your dog. Symptoms of poisoning include incoordination and agitation. mild vomiting and/or diarrhea.

9. Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow (Brunfelsia)

One of the most common plant I have seen in people’s yards is the beautiful Brunfelsia aka Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow. This vibrant popular plant is a favorite for dogs to chew on and ingest. When ingested symptoms of poisoning include diarrhea, salivation, and neurological changes such as twitching, seizures and in some cases death.

10. Snake Plant Mother in Laws Tongue.

Another common plant I have seen is the snake plant mother in laws’ tongue (try saying that 10x). This plant is commonly seen indoors as a potted plant as it is an easy plant to take care of and grow. But little do people who have this plant and pets know that it is toxic. When ingested symptoms of poisoning include Drooling, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Ruptured red blood cells.

KNOW YOUR PLANTS.

There are many more other plants that are toxic to our pets, but also many that are safe. Before you go out to your local Bunnings, it is best to do research on what plants are safe.

Many pet owners will say that their pets do not touch or go near the plants, but is a pretty plant worth the risk of a life? All it can take is Pollen in the air, an innocent drink of the water, or a little nibble on a leaf.

So please be mindful of what plant you place in your home and yard.

0411 261 212

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
  • YouTube

BIN0000510317158

ABN: 60 812 389 670

©2018 by Silver Lining Pet Rescue Inc.

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now